Kristin Bauer van Straten (Pam) and Lauren Bowles (Holly) appeared on a two-woman panel for their show True Blood on Friday afternoon at the Jacob Javits Center for New York Comic-Con 2013.
The two talked for 40 minutes about their starts on the show and the upcoming final season and then took some questions from the fans in the audience. Bauer kicked things off by revealing she was a huge fan of the HBO series Deadwood and thought that she would love to be on a show on the network. Sure enough, she auditioned for the part of Pam and is still playing the role six years later.
Bauer also said that she read the first book in The Southern Vampire Mysteries series but eventually stopped because the show veered so far away from the novels. Her 80-year-old mother, however, read every page.
"She says, 'They're my whole sex life,'" Bauer said.
Bowles, who remarked that Pam has the best lines and costumes on the show, half-joked that she is terrified every time she gets a script because she's afraid Holly will be killed. She joined the cast as a guest in Season 3 and then as a main character in Season 4, but she was worried the whole thing was a dream.
"I completely felt like Dorothy in Oz," Bowles said. "Like, security's about to take me away in 15 minutes."
Bauer also revealed that she and Alexander Skarsgard did not want to shoot the scene where Eric releases Pam. They protested and tried to come up with logical reasons why it would not happen, but the writers told them to do it anyway.
As for the upcoming final season, Bowles relayed showrunner Brian Buckner's idea to pare the series down from its broad, multiple storylines and return it to a small town soap opera. For herself, she wants to see Holly go back to her Wiccan ways.
One fan in the audience asked the ladies how they would end the show if they were running it, and Bauer replied that she would end it in such a way that would allow for a movie.
Asked about the legacy of the show, Bauer said she believes True Blood has changed television because it is a thoughtful show with plenty of action and sex appeal that will stand the test of time.
Notes From The Panel:
- Bauer revealed that Nelsan Ellis added Lafayette's catchphrase, "hookah," to his character.
- Bauer works with Giancarlo Esposito, who played Gustavo Fring on Breaking Bad, on the show Once Upon A Time. Bauer revealed that she is at the end of Season 2 of Breaking Bad, which caused Bowles to comment, "Oh, you have no idea what's in store for you." The two also told a story that the cast and crew of True Blood talks about Breaking Bad all the time, while the cast and crew of Breaking Bad constantly discussed True Blood.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus is Bowles' older sister. Bowles and Bauer also both appeared on Seinfeld.
- A fan asked about their favorite supernatural scenes on the show. Bowles chose the scene where Eric ripped out a man's heart at the end of Season 4 and drank from his aorta. Bauer picked when Pam staked Longshadow and her fight scene with Eric, which she said involved two days of wirework for her and Skarsgard.
- Another fan asked their thoughts about Eric's scene in the Season 6 finale. Bauer replied, "All I head about was his penis. I was traveling and I heard about it and I was like, 'What did he do now?'"
- Bauer said the relationship between Pam and Tara is complicated and she assumed they would do more with it in Season 6, but the writers told her that the characters had other commitments.
- Bowles guessed, when asked, that there would be no more maenads or Greek god worshipers in Season 7, but added that she is usually wrong when she thinks she knows what's going to happen.
- The two ladies said the show will likely figure out the Hepatitis V problem next season.© 2017 Mstars News, All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.